Monday, September 10, 2012

More? Maybe not...

On this, my last day of funemployment for a few weeks, I decided to check out another cupcakery in my new town.  Not knowing precisely which online reviews to believe, I just plan on eating my way through this delightful city in search of the perfect bakery.  If nothing else, I am learning my way around!

Today, I decided to check out more, in Gold Coast.  I was excited to check out these treats, as they seem to have a lot of interesting flavors.  However, I must say that overall, I was pretty disappointed.

Maybe I would enjoy their savory cupcakes, but I'm not sure that I will want to try again.

I will say, walking into the store is something special - the large glass display case is very attractive, and showcases their wares effectively.  Their boxes and overall branding is very attractive, as well, which was definitely appealing.  Also interesting is their "flights" of mini-cupcakes.  However, you cannot pick your own flavors, they are selected in boxes of six for you.  Kind of a bummer, but I was able to mostly get the flavors I wanted to try.

My flight today was comprised of Salted Caramel, Black and White, and their version of Red Velvet.  Also, because they have a signature cupcake, I had to try that!

As I wrote earlier, I was pretty disappointed in these cupcakes.  They all had redeeming qualities, but not enough to blow my mind.

The Salted Caramel was a nice sponge cake, with a delicious caramel filling.  The buttercream frosting had no distinguishable flavor (besides butter...), though was topped with lava salt for a nice decoration. Overall, I could've used more salt in the salted caramel - even a more savory cake would've helped.

The Black and White was my favorite of this flight.  The whole cupcake reminded me a bit of a chocolate chip cookie.  The cake itself was very moist and delicious, as was the delightful chocolate buttercream.  The decoration was delicious as well, made up of small shavings of both white and milk chocolate.

The Red Velvet.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that this might have been the worst red velvet of my life.  The overall product was quite bland, but on its own, the cake actually had too much chocolate in the mix.  The frosting wasn't cream cheese - it was again, a super buttery buttercream with no true flavor.

But!  But!  If you thought that I hated this shop entirely, you would be incorrect!  Their namesake cupcake, the "more" cupcake, is their fancier version of a Hostess Cupcake.  Now, THIS was something that I would try again.  The chocolate cake was reminiscent of my childhood, as I spent many an afternoon eating devil's food cake, and the ganache was spectacular.  The balance of cake and filling and frosting was perfect, and I was disappointed when I finished my piece.

I will probably end up trying some different flavors, but was so sad to feel disenchanted by these treats! Alas, you can't always win.

www.morecupcakes.com

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear that the cupcakes at More weren't spectacular, but i LOVE their packaging! presentation is so important.

    ReplyDelete